The Irish Automobile Club – as it was first known – was formed at a meeting on 22 January, 1901, and is one of the oldest motor clubs in the world. Set up to further and promote the interests of automobilism in Ireland, its first general meeting took place in the Metropole Hotel in Sackville Street (now O’Connell Street), Dublin on 12 March, 1901. The RIAC’s current clubhouse in Dawson Street also saw the formation of the Irish Aero Club in 1909.
The club was awarded the ‘Royal’ prefix to its title in recognition of the humanitarian work carried out by its members during the Great War when many Irish men, returning injured from the front, were transported to convalescent homes on members’ vehicles that were converted into ambulances for this pupose.


Royal Irish Automobile Club, 34 Dawson St, Dublin 2, D02 RF90

Contact business

  • No comments yet.
  • Add a comment